Friday, 26 November 2010

Egyptian Experience - chapter 5 When will the stomach problems end?


WEDNESDAY WAS the day that Ange and I were going to get the bus and go to El Gouna downtown. However, I bumped into Dave who said he had managed to reserve a bed for Ange near the pool. We thought because Dave had gone to that trouble we could always go on Thursday. So we went for breakfast.

There was quite a variety at breakfast eggs done any way but poached, cold meats and cheeses, fruit, sticky buns and cakes, tea,coffee and hot chocolate. No-one needed to go hungry.

At breakfast we bumped into the two Gary's Marion and Mike, we discussed what they were going to do that day, it was there intention to go into town on the bus and explore. We said we were going to but would be going Thursday instead. I am not particularly good at sunbathing, so whilst I was dressed to sun bathe I didn't take a bed. Ange got settled, as did Pete and Dave.

The pool and very small sunbathing area was designed for the all inclusive holiday There were two young ladies in The Three Corner Group T shirt one was English and the other Dutch. They had a base near to a patio which was also the way to the bar and pool. When we all checked in we were given towel cards. We had to hand this to the man who looked after the towels who then gave us a towel. Anyway he shared their space. They had a sound system, a microphone and a music player. After lunch, I was sat at the edge of Ange sun lounger and the English girl came round shouting "Aerobics in 15 minutes " and repeating it every 15 yards. I had just decided to go to the bar for a beer, and asked the others if they wanted one as well. Dave said:"I will come with you Bob", as we went we walked past the ladies setting up the aerobics, Pete, who was lying on the sunbed said to Dave "Don't get me one Dave." He was still suffering gastric-wise. On our way to the bar we passed Jeremy and Colin lying on sunbed right next to the pool. We asked if they wanted a drink, but they were settled, Jeremy said he would come and join us for a drink later. Back at the sun beds I thought Pete was asleep, but the music kicked in and the English girl was shouting out aerobic instruction, Pete bounced up and said: "I am having some of that.." and sped of to the patio. It seemed four people were having some of that and there were three women and Pete. So as we sat on the sun beds sipping our beer Pete was going a nice colour of puce as he bounced around on the patio. After a while the aerobics evolved into salsa dancing and Pete was partnering one of the ladies and the two officials were partnering the other two. The rest of actually remarked how tiring it was watching them.

Later on when Dave and Pete went for their mandatory afternoon siesta, me and Ange went to the bar behind the reception, we found a table outside. I had a vodka and diet coke and Ange had a tonic water. On the table next to us were two elderly Norwegian ladies reading books. One, nearest to me, had all her goods and shackles on the empty chair. Ange was reading and I was watching the speed boat with the water skier, who every time he came parallel with the garden fell into the water, this was very entertaining and what with the drink I was well happy. I can't remember the exact order of this, but many of the others arrived, there were the ones who went to town, Laurence, Tony, Marion, Gary, Mike, Gary, Etty, Swales, Carol and kevin. All of whom seemed to have bags full of goodies. they sat on whatever seating was available. I asked the elderly Norwegian lady next to me if I could have the spare chairs, well she looked at me as if I had gone into her house and Pee'd on her best sofa. Anyway the lads used those and foraged for more.

The main purchases seems to have been T-shirts, lighters, and belts with a place to put a lighter in it. They were designer logos at less than designer prices. They had been to El Gouna Downtown and been on the shuttle boat too. The way they described it, made Ange and I want to go all the more. We were all off to diner later, but just before we left in the corner of my eye I could see the two Norwegians with faces like slapped arses, one holding their walking sticks and shackles and the other dragging the table as far away from us as they could.....I wondered why they booked an all inclusive holiday.

The next day Ange and I got up fairly early, had breakfast and went to catch the bus to El Gouna. The driver was absolutely brilliant, A local Egyptian with a beaming smile, probably in his 50s He asked where we were going (as if that mattered it only went to El Gouna via all the hotels) and we gave him our 5LE's for which he gave us a ticket, and off we went. Firstly we went in the opposite direction to about three hotels, then when we came past the road to our hotel, he bypassed it and went to maybe two more hotels on the way downtown. At each hotel out driver was waving at everyone and saying "Good morning" and partly to himself he kept muttering "I know him.....HELLO....and I know her...HELLO..." it was if he was in a world of his own.

We reached El Gouna and wandered around looking at the shops etc. We were not really bothered about T shirts and other goods we just wanted to see the place and have a go on the shuttle boat. We went down to the jetty which seemed to be loading people so we asked if the boat was the shuttle. The told us the shuttle left at 11.00 am, so we went and killed 30 minutes. On our return there was a queue of people, but they were on an organised boat trip from their hotel. The man said please sit in the shade and I will tell you when it is time to board. A chap came along and everything about him said 'English Tourist' he had white trousers white shirt and white hat. we heard him half shouting and with a half pigeon English accent with a Yorkshire brogue. "Is this where I catch t'shuttle boat lad..." he started, "Yes sir it is from here." "...and does it come back here?" " Yes sir it does. Would you like a ticket." "ah much is it..mate." "It is 5 LE's" "...alreet then I'll 'av one." He was about to move back and then he resumed. "...oi mate, ah much is a speed boat...a fast one....one I can take aht to sea..." "when you return sir I will introduce you to a friend and I know he will be able to satisfy your requirements." "But ah much is it....?" "My friend will tell you sir." The man beckoned us over as the shuttle boat was boarding. We were on first one other couple and the Yorkshire man. The boat set off and we saw a mixture of private housing and Hotels, After a short trip the couple got off, they were clearly at their hotel, I shouted across to the remaining passenger and said "That's a good old Yorkshire accent," he replied "Eye lad but I come from Derbyshire...but worked all me life with Yorkshire folk. So I think it has rubbed off a bit." "Where in Derbyshire" I asked, "Bakewell" he replied. We talked about the local confection the bakewell pudding, and then all was silent. "...Nice ere innit?" he said "..I wasn't sure when I booked it, because I 'ad a week on the nile, but my lady (she's not my wife) didn't want to cruise, er husband wanted her to, and she wouldn't do that so she wouldn't come 'ere so I'm ere on me own. The whiskys alreet innit." I didn't like to say to a person I didn't know; in the immortal words of Pete; that is tastes like camel pee."well I am not too keen really I have to drink the Vodka with diet coke." I replied. "Its great entertainment in't 'otel innit, there is a chap 'oo plays t'piana," "Which hotel are you in." I asked. "I'm int Three Corner Rhiana Park." I said, "We are in the Ocean View which is a sister hotel." We had been chugging along looking at great scenery and very near to being back where we started. We got off the boat and we were heading for the bus. The man from Bakewell was whisked away by the boatman. On our way back the man caught us up. He said. "That deal were crap, 25 egyptian pounds and I couldn't go out to sea....so I'm not botherin'...do you know where t'bank is?" I replied "Yes we passed two coming in, there are not far from the bus station." So he came part way and then off to the bank. We found the bus and got on it.....it was our friendly driver again. We set off and stopped at the first hotel...the Rhiana Park, the man from Bakewell was walking in as we set off and he shouted: "The bank was shut....I'll try tomorra...." Our driver said in a kind of mutter, "....I know him....HELLO...."

We were back at the hotel early so we decided we would go and find a seat at the back of the hotel near the bar, because it was too hot to sunbathe and we wouldn't get a bed. Ange dropped something off at our room and I went into the garden to find Colin in reception, Laurence and Jeremy appeared. Jeremy and Colin were treating Laurence to lunch in El Gouna downtown for his birthday. They asked if Ange and I were going we said we have been. So we went to the garden and thought before we commit to sitting here we will go see if anyone was around. There wasn't anyone so we decided to go as far as the very far side of the port and as far as the new buildings to see what's there. We came back and were completely knackered, so then we went to the bar at the garden and sat at the only table available. Two Begian ladies asked if they could sit at the remaining seats and we agreed. We dined later and retired.

Friday was the day of the street festival, it cost us 15 LE's each for dinner in the street, there was to be a live group, and a BBQ so we booked a table for all 16 of us.

The day was for us a messing around day.

Later I went to the garden bar where Jeremy and Dave were having a drink, I joined them Dave I think was on Gin and Tonic, Jeremy had something like a cocktail, I ordered some vodka. Then we were joined by some of the others, and we turned it into a drinking session. Ange came and went to get ready for the evening and it left me Jeremy and swales. We had one for the road, then another for the road and then a third for the road. We were all to meet at Peanuts at 7.00pm and then 7.30 pm at the reception and we were all going in convoy to the street venue.

As I was returning to the room I passed peanuts and Gary (of gary and Marion) was sat there, no-one had seen him since the previous day because of his attachment to the bathroom. He was on his second Vodka and Coke. I said: "You Ok Gary", "I am now Bob, and I need to make up for lost drinking time." I said give me a few I will get ready quick and come keep you company. I showered and changed ahead of Ange who was showered but just needed the final touches as women do. So I told her I was off to see Gary. When I got back Marion was with him. I joined them and very soon afterwards the rest arrived, we all had a drink and went to reception. I have to admit that at this stage the weak Vodka had managed to penetrate my thinking ability. I was on that not sober, drunkish, bordering on that going to be bladdered stage. Ange was not amused. We had an altercation in the lobby as we set off and it took the entire length of the quay before she spoke to me. Once we made the party area, we could not have had a better place to sit. There was waiter service for the drinks we had to queue for the food. Now bear in mind there must be hundreds of people around the horseshoe shaped quay, and we were inches in some cases away from the water, most of the people here by the early hours would be severely paralysed with drink.......me included.

We got our food.... well I nibbled a bit I didn't really like it, thats not a great idea being diabetic, but I consentrated on bread to give me carbo hydrate which turns to sugar. I managed to take a few photos and watch the entertainment until it was clear I was not functioning at all and was paralytic. I said to Ange: "Don't worry about me I'll go and you stay." "I can't we only have one key. I'll come with you." she said in a very unfriendly voice. Half way home again I said, "when we get there you go back, enjoy yourself.", She said "I was already enjoying myself but you managed to end that and i am not walking all that way." My card was marked I kept schtum.

The next day when Ange said are we going on that other beach I quickly replied "Of course my little swamp duck" I know when to avoid a fight you see. So at breakfast we met Dave. "I have never been off the loo all night when will it all end I feel awful." He said as we tried to devour our eggs and toast. "Have you had any of the Egyptian stomach pills" Ange asked. "No I haven't" "Well when I go back to the room I will get you a couple" she offered. and are you coming across to the other beach, we hear it is brilliant. "I doubt it we need to be near a toilet. And Pete put his back out last night." "How did he do that" I asked. "Well he was dancing with Gary to the band and when they did the twist he was a bit vigorous and when he twisted down, he struggled twisting back up. He has taken Ibuprofen so he may improve if we take it easy.

We went to the other beach and realised we should have been there from day one. Gary and Mike, Carol and Kevin decided to go and hire a boat so they could sail themselves. We had a bed Gary and Marion and Swales and Etty did, then Laurence joined us and Jeremy and Colin. We had a great morning, and its marvellous how Jeremy can swim with ease and still wear his hat. There was a little wooden jetty which you could sit on and dangle your feet and when you did the fish came and nibble your feet. there were several sack beds floating for us to lie on anchored at the limit of the swimming area and there was a bar which served food and the same waiters served you at the sun beds. We had found our first piece of Shangri la in Egypt.

We decide we would not go for lunch at the hotel we would buy it here. Luxury, Cheeseburger, chips and veg....delicious.

After our lunch as we were by the waters edge a speed boat came into the entrance to the quay, it was Gary and Mike and Carol and Kevin.

We had decided that as this was effectively the last night we could celebrate we booked the Belgian restaurant again. We met in Peanuts bar, then decanted to the restaurant. back to Peanuts and then to bed, tomorrow last day in El Gouna.

We went for breakfast, saw Dave and Pete. "Hi Dave how are you" I asked, "Awful Bob never off the loo again last night where does it come from i am hardly eating." We did realise that when we got back to England meal times would be wonderful. We wouldn't need strong stomachs because those around us need to tell us in dramatic detail the working of their digestive tract.

We will get you more pills Dave are you coming across to the other beach today. Well we'll see if the pills settle us and then maybe. We gave Dave his pills and got our towels and off we went.

We went by the little supermarket because we decided we would not eat in the pub but we would make sandwiches so we did. Dave and Pete did come over but the rest had decided to go snorkeling. We didn't see them until before dinner time and it was clear they were not too impressed with it.

Down at the other beach I was having my last dip in the water and Colin came over, he said "you know our bar bill yesterday was about £50, I had a can of Fanta and Laurence did I didn't eat and Jeremy was having cocktails and all sorts." I said "He had some food", "The other day he said to me I haven't had one hangover here in El Gouna," "I told him thats because he never stopped bloody drinking"

Tomorrow we had a major travel ordeal to undertake...............







No comments:

Post a Comment